As the term refers, antibacterial’ commonly known as antibiotics’ includes a range of powerful medications to treat bacteria-caused diseases. Antibiotics’ is an effective and useful substance that treats or prevents infections by destroying or constraining the growth of bacteria.
Alexander Fleming discovered the first natural antibiotic, Penicillin in the year 1928. The fighting components of antibiotics boost the resistance system of the body and protect from infections.
Antibiotics cannot fight against viruses – doctors prescribe antibiotics only for the treatment of bacterial infections. Hence, it is important to know the type of infection before the intake of antibiotics. Moreover, overuse or incorrect use of antibiotics may cause adverse or side effects on the body. It is also advised to complete the course of antibiotics even after some improvement in symptoms.
Antibiotics have helped people to recover from some of the life threatening diseases over years. However, health awareness turned people towards the natural antibiotic treatment. Researchers have found some promising results of natural antibiotics and further studies are underway to prove in this direction.
Here, we discuss about 20 Natural Antibiotics Provided By Mother Nature.
- Garlic is the worldwide recognized natural source for prevention and curing powers. A proven result shows effective treatment of garlic against many forms of bacteria and multi drug resistance.
- Honey is another natural source that comes with effective antibacterial attributes. It has been used as an ointment since the time of Aristotle and modern healthcare professional have found that honey is helpful in treating chronic wounds, burns, ulcers, bedsores, and skin grafts.
- Several studies recognize and establish ginger as one of the natural antibiotic with its property to fight many strains of bacteria. The possible power of ginger to combat seasickness and nausea and to lower blood sugar levels is still under research stage.
- Echinacea has been used as a traditional healer for over hundreds of years by the Native Americans. Researchers have begun to understand the reason for considering it as a treatment for infections and wounds.
- Goldenseal is an essential treat for respiratory and digestive problems and usually consumed in tea or capsules. It also has the property to combat bacterial diarrhea and urinary tract infections. Moreover, a recent study proves the use of goldenseal as skin infection treatment.
- Clove has a traditionally proven effect on dental procedures and modern science is trying to find the effects of clove water extract against many different types of bacteria including Escherichia Coli.
- Oregano essential oil has important therapeutic properties that acts as an antioxidant and boosts the immune system. It also has the anti-inflammatory property that considers oregano as more effective natural antibiotic.
- Myrrh extracts is considered as a lesser known natural antibiotic that has the ability to ward off harmful germs.
- Thyme essential oil is external use oil helpful against antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Onions contain powerful flavonoids that have antibiotic effects, and, like garlic, they contain therapeutic sulfur compounds called cysteine sulphoxides.
- Red Pepper helps in lowering PH of the stomach and therefore prevents harmful bacteria from growing.
- Tea tree found in Australia and New Zealand are rich in monoterpenes component that provides effective fighting against bacteria.
- A well-known spice herb cinnamon has excellent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties helpful in treating stomach conditions.
- Popular Indian spice turmeric also consists of antimicrobial properties and the most active component curcumin is very effective in treating Urinary and Tract Infections.
- A well-known ingredients lemongrass has excellent antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
- Common herb rosemary is a very effective natural antibiotic without side-effects in treating conditions such as salmonella infections and staph infections.
- Ayurvedic medicine Neem oil is commonly used to fight bacterial skin infections such as dermatitis and acne.
- South American native evergreen tree Pau D’Arco with its antibacterial properties gives a promise as cancer therapy.
- The Oregon Grape is safe to consume orally and is beneficial for treating acne with antibacterial properties.
- Manuka honey produced by bees of New Zealand is effective in treating methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus shows stronger antibiotic properties than other types of honey.
These wide spread antibiotics offered by the nature are absolutely safe and tested for consumption in treating bacterial diseases.